This course is designed to explore the natural connections between Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics. Participants will move beyond simply using the design-process to truly be able to integrate all the arts in and through STEM. Participants will walk away with a series of strategies and sequences that will empower you to create a STEAM initiative that works for you and your students.
- Define the distinct elements of STEM, STEAM and Integrated studies, including the differences and similarities of each strategy.
- Select objectives from Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math that are aligned and enhance each other to increase student engagement in learning.
- Build a series of STEAM lessons that are grade-level appropriate in the individual cognitive demand required for students.
- Develop a set of curriculum maps that outline a variety of paths students could explore through STEAM lessons.
STEAM: Understanding the Foundations
- Training focuses on understanding the foundations of STEAM and why is it so important for our students to engage in active learning activities.
- Teachers will build a series of STEAM lessons that are grade-level appropriate and are designed to Engage, Motivate and Excite students to explore their passion for STEAM.
Topic 1: What is STEAM?
- Overview: Discover the basics of the STEAM approach.
- Assignment: Use the STEAM Look-For List Handout.
Topic 2: STEAM Lesson Design
- Overview: What standards would you use in a STEAM Lesson?
- Assignment: Review the STEAM lesson exemplars provided and complete
Topic 3: STEAM assessment Design
- Overview: Explore the many ways to assess a STEAM lesson effectively.
- Assignment: Review the assessment resource guide and assessment
STEAM: Roadmap for Success
- This training will focus on design, implementation and how to find time to integrate STEAM in your curriculum.
- Teachers will design a STEAM implementation plan that is aligned with SMART goals that will help to ensure success.
Topic 1: Roadmap to Success
- Overview: What is curriculum mapping and how can you use it to make STEAM easier?
- Assignment: Complete the STEAM Road mapping worksheet.
Topic 2: Creating Time
- Overview: Learn how to find time for integrating with STEAM in your curriculum.
- Assignment: Fill-out the STEAM planners to help plan your next lesson or project.
Topic 3: Implementation Steps
- Overview: Design a STEAM implementation plan aligned with SMART goals.
- Assignment: Use the implementation guidebook to help create your own plan.